DIY Fall Tissue Paper Topiary


I am totally in Autumn mode & I love it!

I've practically hosed down the house with my favorite Pumpkin Spice room spray, decorated my fireplace mantle, and ready to chow down on some caramel apples.  This is by far my most favorite time of year.

Our Decorated Mantle (ignore the ugly TV cables)

With all the inspiration I've been seeing online lately, I just had to use up some of this creative energy. Using just items I had already in the house, I made myself the cutest fall colored tissue paper topiary.
It barely took any time at all - probably 45 min.  Half of that was digging through our storage totes in the garage to get at my tissue paper.  Funny how the bin you want is always on the bottom at the waaaay back :P

Supplies:
  • glass applesauce jar - washed & label removed
  • wooden dowel - ours was a handle that had broken off of a window washer/squeegee, already painted red
  • 3 in foam ball 
  • tissue paper - red & some random tan with brown cursive writing
  • raffia
  • beading wire - I used 26ga, but it was a pain to work with, use 24 or bigger
  • pliers - for grabbing end of wire to twist
  • hot glue gun & glue
Making the tissue paper pom:
My finished tissue paper pom

  1. Cut tissue paper into strip. I made mine probably 6 inches wide.  If you have a bigger foam ball, and don't want to add much width to it, then cut your strips smaller.
  2. Lay 2-3 strips of tissue paper on top of each other. The more you stack, the fuller/tighter the bunches will be. I was stingy, and used 2 sheets for the tan, and 3 for the red. I also didn't have much brown to work with, and wanted to make it go as far as possible.
  3. Accordion fold the sheets all together with the fold going across the short way, about 1 inch wide. 
  4. Once folded, gently gather the center and secure with wire. Twist the end of the wire with a tail of and inch or so long. If you want fancy ends to your tissue paper puff, now is the time to trim. Either round off the ends (the non folded part), or create points for different looks
  5. Gently separate and fluff the layers of tissue paper around the center, creating an flower. 
  6. Repeat making the flowers until you have enough to sufficiently cover your foam ball the way you want... I didn't cover the whole ball, but left the very bottom and back empty.  I had to glue the ball to the dowel, and there was no point in decorating the back since it'd be against the wall. No point in using tissue paper that I didn't need to.
  7. Stick the wire "tails" into the ball, you can secure it with a little dab of hot glue, or tacky glue. I didn't glue mine, since I may want to change up the colors for Christmas or spring. 
  8. Once you can't see anymore foam of the ball, and it's the fullness you want, you're done!
Making the topiary:
Finished topiary base
  1. Hot glue the dowel to the bottom of the jar. Make sure to hold the dowel in place until the glue completely sets up, or you can get a crooked topiary.
  2. Hot glue tissue paper pom to the top of the dowel. I let the hot glue cool just a little bit so that it didn't melt the styrofoam too bad.
  3. Use raffia (or yarn, or fabric that matches your pom) to cover the threading on the top of the jar where the lid attached to.   Hot glue worked OK, but tacky glue might works even better for this.
  4. Gently stuff some matching tissue paper down into the jar to fill it. You could also use paint on the inside of the jar, or fill it with rocks/marbles whatever you have on hand.
  5. Place topiary on mantle/table top, etc. 

    The most wonderful part is - it was FREE!  Yippee!

    I apologize for not taking pictures of all the steps... I'm so bad at remembering to slow down and document it. I get so carried away and want to see the completed project!


    I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
    Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny SackDebt Free Mommy,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
    Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,
    Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims Wednesday,  
    Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,
    Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars,
    Saturday: Free for All at Young and Crafty, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday,
    Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap Time,   

    2 comments:

    1. Super adorable, and cheap enough to make some for every time of year or holiday!

      Visiting from Whimsically Homemade

      ReplyDelete
    2. At first I thought this said toilet paper topiary and I thought, "Well that's a first"...LOL Cute mantle, Ali!!

      Thanks for linking up to Throwback Thursday!

      xoxo
      Denyse

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.