Frugal $3 Fall Wreath



Fall obsession has taken over me! I just have to decorate every inch I can with something in reds, oranges, and browns.

I had some wreaths that I hung outside on our porch lights last fall, but I wanted to give them some fresh life.  I didn't have to buy anything to re-do them, and all the the materials were originally purchase from the Dollar Tree.  
If you want to go out and buy the same stuff it would cost about $3.

Materials
  • wreath: $1
  • fall leaf garland: $1
  • faux mini gourds and pumpkins: $1
Other from my stash
  • a bit of raffia
  • hot glue gun & hot glue sticks
Last year, I simply wrapped the fall garland around the wreath, and attached it with some thread - to be removable. Then had added 3 little gourds or pumpkins. That was it. They were simple, easy to put together. But too darn plain.

Since the gourds on the one wreath were hot glued on, I had to work around them. I chose to remove everything from the other wreath, and make it a blank canvas again. That way I could use the materials to make one much prettier wreath.


With the leaf garlands off of both wreaths, I popped off the leaves from the vines, since I really wanted to use just individual leaves.

I used hot glue to add on the extra gourds, to make the bunches more full.
Behind the gourds, I glued on a few leaves here and there.


Then I created a bunching of just leaves on the upper part of one side. I layered leaves of different colors, to contrast with each other. Also making sure to try to tuck the ugly green plastic stems in between the sticks of the wreath.  I had half pointing up and half pointing down. Then to cover up the middle part, I made a raffia wrap, and bow.  I glued the one end of a thicker peice of raffia over top of the middle, then wrapped and wrapped - ocassionally using a small dab of hot glue to keep it in place.


Making the bow, I took a few strands of raffia and loosely wrapped it around my hand to make a circle. Then folded this in half, and in the middle glued a thicker short peice of raffia around the middle to secure the bow.  Then hot glued this bow onto the raffia wrap on the wreath.



I'm pretty proud of how many things I can craft for free.  I guess that's what happens when you nearly hoard craft items :)


Linked up at the Fall Wreath Challenge


Visit thecsiproject.com



I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny SackDebt Free Mommy,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims Wednesday,  
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom,
Saturday: Free for All at Young and Crafty, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,
Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap Time,    Our Favorite Things Link Party,

9 comments:

  1. Hi Crafty WI Mama! Thank you so much for visiting me and your sweet comment :) Your thrifty week is awesome, yay frugality!

    xoxo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute wreath! My door is bare so I need to get to work on one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and creative! Love it! I hope you will link this up to the Fall, Halloween Wreaths challenge over at my blog, The CSI Project.
    You can start linking up Wednesday night! Come on over!!!
    We are having a great giveaway too!
    Each week is a new craft challenge!
    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for the challenge invite, I will certainly link up this evening!

      Delete
  4. I feel the same about fall decor. You did a great job...and on a budget! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.