How to Make Chicken Baby Food {Easy, I Promise!}


Last week, I bought a large pack of chicken breasts at Sam's Club. By Monday, they needed to either get cooked up or frozen, so I asked Mr E (who is unfortunately still unemployed, and home all day) to throw them all into the slow cooker with some diluted chicken. We need to cook like that more often! I'm loving having ready to heat chicken in the fridge. I shredded some up for quesadillas, then used it in tacos last night, and the night before cut some into strips to add to rice along with broccoli.



Well, I got the cahones to take one of the cooked breasts and turn it into baby food. I'll admit... I was super scared that I'd mess it up, then feel terribly guilty to have ruined a perfectly good chicken breast - hey, it only takes one to feed our family for a meal, and with the extremely tight budget, I almost cry if we waste food. I was cooking up a small batch of carrots that night, so the blender was already on the counter just asking to be used for a chicken experiment. 

The chicken was super tender from the slow cooker, so I pulled it apart a bit before putting into the blender.  I added probably 2 ladles some of the very diluted chicken broth for the liquid - I've read to really watch salt intake for babies, and chicken broth is usually pretty salty stuff. I tried to get the top part with some of the fats, and if it wasn't diluted,  I would have just used water anyways.  I pulsed it a few times, and needed to add more liquid.  Pulsed again, and it looked good, so I set the blender on liquify. I let it run for a bit, since I really wanted the chicken to be good and smooth.

Once I had the perfect consistency for my picky texture baby :), I made up a bunch of ready to heat dinners.  I originally thought to make chicken cubes, to be able to add them later with other foods to make combos, but couldn't because I had carrots in the trays that night, and don't have enough trays for it all.  So instead, I got out some plastic tubs to pre-assemble some combos. Using cubes of other foods, and the freshly made carrot puree here's the combos I made:

- Chicken and Sweet Potato (roughly 2oz chic, to 1 oz Sw Pt.  A little too chicken-y, but he loved it anyways)
- Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Apple (1.5 oz Chic, 1oz Sw Pt, 1oz Apple.)
-Chicken, Sweet Potato and Carrot (1oz of each, going to try this tonight, and will update!)

  


 




Here's the process broken down into steps. It's really just the same as making other baby foods:

1. Cook chicken
2. Chunk it up, and put into blender.
3. Add enough water for consistency appropriate for your baby - it took more than I thought it would for a very smooth puree.
4. Store as desired - cubes, tubs, jars, etc. 

The finished product, along with Carrot cubes!

Has anyone tried other proteins? I'm hoping to do beef and turkey at some point. Please share tips and tricks!


{Update!!} - Baby C couldn't get enough of the Chicken, Apple & Sweet Potato combo last night! I need to make more of that, apparently.  I tried a little taste of it to make sure it wasn't too hot, and wow, if I had a bunch of teeth removed and needed to eat purees, pretty sure that would be top of my list. Delish!  





I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny SackDebt Free Mommy,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,Tasty Tuesday,
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims WednesdayWork it Wednesday,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,Wait Til Your Father Gets Home,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars,
Saturday: Free for All at Young and Crafty, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday,
Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap Time,   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.