Our DIY Baptism: Trendy Blue Chevron Invitations


We have set a date! 

No, not for whenever that wedding is supposed to happen... 
but for Baby C's baptism! YAY!

I am all up in a tizzy trying to plan the best baptism this part of the state has ever seen on a budget of... wait for it.... $0.00!

I will take on the motto of that steam engine, "I think I can, I think I can...". Well, ok, lets be realistic.  I'm going to have to buy some things, like paper plates, napkins, silverware, and maybe some crafting supplies. I'm hoping Grandma can fund that $10 trip to Dollar Tree - seeing as the luncheon will be held at her house.  


The first DIY project for this blessed event was the invitations. I have Photoshop on my personal computer, and  Publisher on my work computer, so I knew I could make them myself given a little time. My first step was to look online at baptism invitations, and find what I liked. I'm a sucker for brown & blue (our daycare teacher commented that she almost never sees him dressed in any other colors!), and found this one that I loved. The curley bracket surrounding the photo was adorable. But I knew that the brown background would suck my ink cartridge dry.  

An internet search for free backgrounds led me to blue chevrons. Oh-Em-Gee.  Chevrons! I am so not that trendy person, but with all the chevron projects I'm seeing out there in the blogosphere I knew I just had to incorporate that into our theme. I couldn't find any .pdf files for free, only some strange other files (I'm not as tech saavy as an engineer should be), I decided to just make my own.

Why? Why did I decide to take this on?

So I've used Photoshop like twice since I bought it. Well... this is certainly a learning process. I found a single chevron graphic in black, recolored it blue, and did the painstaking task of rotating it, resizing it and duplicating it over and over and over again, until the stripes were formed. 

Then I added a little bit of a vignette, gave it some distressing  - honestly don't remember which filters I used anymore.  I found some free bracket frames here.  Awesome! Thank you so much Rita @ CoffeeShop Blog!  Yup, that blog is now on my stalker list :P

Recolored the bracket frame brown, added an adorable picture of my little angel, then typed in the all that typical info (ceremony location details, party location details, RSVP info, etc) below it.  

And done. Probably three hours later... how cute is this? With the vingette around the edges... and I tried to give it a distressed look with some noise filters, but it wasn't really all that noticable. I could have spent more time on it, but oh well.




I have photo paper that I got as a great deal at Sam's probably a year ago now that I've never used. Perfect opportunity. I'm also going to use it to print off pictures of my baby as decor for the party after the baptism ceremony.

I'm looking for ideas of cute DIY baptism decor, both for in the church, and my parents dining room for the lunch... please drop me a comment if you know of any good resources for such!



I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny SackDebt Free Mommy,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage,52 Mantels, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom,
Saturday: Free for All at Young and Crafty, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday,
Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap Time,   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.