Throw Pillow Envelope Covers

Everything in our house needs to be washable - baby with reflux, 3 year old, dog, and 28 year old "boy".  Yup, it's all gotta be able to go in the washer or easily cleaned with our Little Green machine.

The accent pillows that came with our couch and loveseat did not have removable covers. I found them to be drab, and have intended on making covers for them for a few months now. Originally I wanted to tie in the color and floral pattern from the lampshades that we have in our living room.

But since there isn't any $ for new fabrics to match, I decided to use what I already have and continue the Americana theme of some of my living room decor.


A few years ago, I took all the strange size scraps from other projects along with any junk clothes (except for knits), and cut it all into 6" squares. I didn't do the best job of it, and didn't have any sort of plan for them other than eventually using them in quilts.  Well, these squares came in handy for my pillow project!

I laid them out over the pillow deciding which color combos to use, and how they'd fit. It worked out perfectly to do 3 x 3, as the seam allowance then made it fit great.

I sewed strips of three together first. Ironed: the red material has metallic threads which are very stiff, so it was easier not to open the seams up.  Then sewed the strips to make the square. Another round of ironing the seams, and I was ready for the backs.

Envelope backs:

For the back I chose to use pieces of a blue flat sheet that I had on clearance. Sheets are a great way to get fabric cheap, and I've used it multiple times already for a number of baby quilts and now these pillow covers. I wanted to do cases that would easily come off, but didn't require buttons or zippers to stay closed.  So I quick whipped up my own envelope style covers.

The pillow was about 17" square, and my scrap of blue sheet was about 20" long,  so I cut four back pieces as 12" wide (two for each pillow).  I like to do snip-and-rip. Quick easy, and straight. I hemmed up one of the long sides.  Ironed.

Assembled my pillow cover with right sides in - pinned together nicely.


Sewed, snipped corners, and turned right side out.  Voila! Done!

All of the sewing combined took about 2 hours. But I split it up into two nights, so some of the set-up and clean up times was doubled.

This would be much quicker and easier if the pillow covered were made entirely of the same fabric, so it would be almost like a burrito wrap, and sewing only two ends.

I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny SackDebt Free Mommy,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, Running with Glitter, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage,52 Mantels, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom,
Saturday: Free for All at Young and Crafty, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday,


1 comment:

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.