Un-Cycle? Tank Top Refashion by Removing Embellishments


I feel like I've been in a fashion rut. Pinterest, I swear, is evil. The most adorable outfits sprawl across my screen when I log in, but there is absolutely no room in the budget for Mama to get clothes (even used ones are out).

So I've been trying to come up with ways to re-love the items I already have.



I've always loved the shape and material of this tank. But the metal "buttons" around the collar and arm holes require it to be hand-washed. The square ones are pointy, uncomfortable to wear, and could easily scratch one of the kids. Needless to say, I've only worn it half a dozen times in the past few years.  Expensive, well made clothes I never have the heart get rid of... whether selling or giving away, I can't do it!

 

Looking through my closet for something to wear one morning, I saw it and thought, "I never wear that tank because of the metal embellishments... so why not just take them off? DUH!"

That weekend we headed up to Rochester to visit Mr E's parents. With the whole car ride ahead of me, I armed myself with a small scissors, the tank top to be operated on, and a ton of patience.

Is this the opposite of up-cycling? My new term - uncycling: to undo the flair added to a piece of clothing to give it plain old life again.

Lol. That's so something I would do. I have mostly very plain clothes, it makes mixing and matching so much easier!

A few hours later.... seriously, it DID take that long. I thought it would be maybe a 30 minute project. Ripping off some beads? How hard can it be? Well, let me tell ya, when it's well made, and those puppies are secure, it's a huge PITA!

It was worth the accidental snips of my fingers. Since I had nothing better to do in the car, it worked out perfect.


Yay! Now I have a tank top that I'll actually wear :)

I'd love to hear about creative & simple things you're doing to revamp what you've got, and how you're living a frugal lifestyle!  Feel free to drop a comment or two!





I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny SackDebt Free Mommy,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays,
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, Running with Glitter, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage,52 Mantels, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom,
Saturday:
Sunday: Our Favorite Things Link Party,


7 comments:

  1. Love it! It sure feels great to do something simple and make a garment wearable. The top even looks better without all that stuff on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I completely agree, some things are much better when they are simple and plain.

    I think I've worn this tank like twice a week since I took those metal things off :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great up-cycle. Now its wearable!! Stopping by from A Glimpse Inside's linky party.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/09/another-fur-baby-coat.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! I have a shirt I need to do this to. I might actually wear it if the gaudy rhinestones were taken off. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turned out great. Thanks for sharing it at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it much better without the embellishments. Great job! :)

    Thanks so much for sharing this at "That's My Style" Link Party!!! You made my day. I do hope you'll join in again. I can't wait to see what you have to share this week. :)

    Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.