Sewing the Cutest Baby Bibs Ever

For all you that sew or quilt, isn't it a constant challenge to decide how to use up those little bits of fabric left over from big projects? I always get these fab ideas, then realize my scraps aren't big enough :(  I run into creative dead ends all the time.

Well not this time! 
How adorable are these bibs? 

How much did they cost? Nothing. Bam, even more awesome!  


When I was pregnant, I got on a sewing kick to make blankets for sick kids through Project Linus. They are a wonderful charity.  Here, I'll go on my soap box about them for a minute. They take donations of all sorts of blankets: knitted, crocheted, no-sew fleece, quilts.  These then get distributed to sick children (babies in the NICU, and children in hospitals), children affected by disasters or loss (house fire, family turmoil).  A warm, soft and hand made blanket means so much to kids, and lets them know that they are loved, even by people they've never met.
Thanks for listening... now onto my bib project :)


The material I used was left over from a few of the Project Linus quilts I've made:
  • brown flannel for the front
  • brown and blue elephant/peanut material contrast for the front
  • earthy blue-teal cotton for the back
The flannel will be great choice for the front - soft to wipe baby's face, and dark color so it won't stain easily.   The busy print of the contrast material will hide stains well too, and it used up the very last scraps I had of this fabric.

How I did it:

1. Trace bib adding extra around the edges for seam allowance. I also free-hand drew it longer by a couple inches, Baby C is a puker, and there is nothing more annoying than 3 changes of clothes simply because a bib isn't long enough.
- here you can see that my fabric is doubled over, since I made 2 bibs.

Cut out along the lines.  





















2.  Take the newly cut out fabric, and use as a pattern on the backing material. 
Since it was somewhat free-handly drawn, using the cut-out piece as the pattern makes sure that you'll have front and backs that are copies of eachother.
 - if you're using material that has right/wrong sides to it (mine didn't), you'll want to make sure that  the front and backs of the bib is mirror imaged of eachother.





4. Cut backside fabric.
I don't know why I didn't remove my front sides when cutting... it was late :)
 




 5. Now it's time to add your embellishment, or contrast fabric to the front part.
How cute are these little circus elephants and peanuts? Get it, little peanut... ha, ha. I must need some more coffee this morning.
I wasn't sure if I wanted it at the very bottom, or the middle.You could add an applique, do some embroidery stitching, or add a crumb catcher at this stage too.  Get creative!



6. Pin your contrast material to the right side of the front bib material.



7. Attach contrast/embellishment. Using zig-zag, and very short stitch, I sewed tops and bottoms of the contrast. You could also iron under the cut edges, and sew it down for a more crisp finished look.






 8.  Now place the wrong sides of the top and bottom bib pieces together. Pin all the way around except for leaving a gap to turn it right side out again. I chose to have my opening at the bottom.
Sewn around edges with a opening.


















9. Outside curves get notched, inside curves. This helps the edges stay flat when turned right side out.

10.  Turn right side out, and iron.  The strap that goes around the neck can be a pain to turn right side out. Be patient, go little by little. Use a knitting needle to stick through, or gently grab the material with a pin to pull through.



11.  Add finishing stitch around the edge.  I used zig-zag, since that's as decorative as my ancient machine gets. You could use all sorts of fun quilting stitches if you have a machine that can handle it. Or just use a straight stitch with contrast color. Go slow around corners, pivot with needle in the fabric around tight spots.
12.  Add snap.  Done!!


Ok.. so I don't have my snaps or snap pliers yet, they just got shipped from IL yesterday, I'm hoping they arrive very soon! I will be sure to get these bibs done right after I receive it in the mail, then post pictures and wrap this post up. 

I just love how these turned out, what a feeling to see something so cute come together from scraps of fabric.  They did take some time - probably because I did two at once, and made up the design as I went along.



I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny SackDebt Free Mommy,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,Tasty Tuesday,
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims WednesdayWork it Wednesday,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,Wait Til Your Father Gets Home,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars,
Saturday: Free for All at Young and Crafty, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,
Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap Time,   



9 comments:

  1. Super cute - you've got a lot of talent in those hands of yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute. I've got a a little one and I know all too well that you can never have enough bibs! Thanks for this tutorial!
    Stacia@ http://feathersandsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Nice way to use up some scraps and make something cute. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These turned out so well. I bet if you used velcro, it would be even easier than snaps. I've got a "puker" too so you've inspired me to get to work using up my scraps. If only you had a pattern or idea for mom bibs too, because I think he's aiming for me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought about doing velco, but our bibs that have it already end up attaching themselves to all sorts of things in the wash. It drives me crazy to get nubbies on things like my dress socks, or the lace on my bras. Just my OCD... lol.

      Oh, and I hear you about the puker... when Baby C was smaller, I think I changed my clothes more often than his!

      Delete
  5. Great bibs, and I love the price also. Thank you for sharing them at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.