DIY Baby Food: Slow Cooked Apple Pork Roast

Life has gotten so busy lately between my sister's baby shower, Baby's Baptism, and Halloween parties & costumes. I've found it hard to keep up making our own baby food.

When planning supper for a weeknight, I usually resort to something in the slow cooker. It's so much easier to cook meat that way.  I had planned on a pork roast smothered in a homemade apple butter.  But what to do with all those leftovers? I mean, I love taking hearty homemade meals to work for lunch, but there would be enough to eat pork roast every day all week... how boring.

I had the thought of making baby food with the leftovers, and tweaked my recipe a bit to accomidate that.
Shown mixed with Apples & Butternut Squash

Slow Cooker Pork Roast:
2-3 lb lean pork loin roast
1 cup applesauce
2 cups water  - or enough to keep the roast moist while cooking all day

Directions:
Put roast in bottom of slow cooker. I used my 2qt insert. Dump water in. Spread applesauce on top (I used some homemade apple sauce that had a little bit of cinnamon in it).
Let cook on low all day (6-8 hrs) making sure internal temp reaches at least 170F, and that no pink is left in the middle.

I usually add some random spices, whatever I'm feeling at the time, like onions, garlic, dash of chili powder, maybe some ginger or extra cinnamon. I also will add a cube of chicken bouillon. All these things were intentionally left out so that Baby could eat it. Remember to never add salt to baby food, the chicken bouillon is loaded with salt, and all sorts of things that I don't want going in baby food. At this point, I think it's best for us to leave those extras out, since Baby seems to have a little bit of a sensitive stomach still.

We ate some of the roast for supper (we added some salt on top because it was pretty plain), then the rest got chunked up and put in the blender. Save the juices & water left in the slow cooker to use as the liquid when blending.

It turned out a little bit lumpy, even after a good thorough blending. I think it's just the way the pork meat fibers latch to each other, as the mouth feel of it (yes I taste test!) it very similar to the more smooth chicken puree I've made.
 


I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny SackDebt Free Mommy,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,Tasty Tuesday,
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims WednesdayWork it Wednesday,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,Wait Til Your Father Gets Home,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars,
Saturday: Free for All at Young and Crafty, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,
Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap Time,   



8 comments:

  1. Great job! I always wanted to make my own baby food but my baby was soooo picky! Thanks for linking up to the Keep Calm and Link Up! Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget just how lucky I am to have little boys that could eat everything in the pantry if I let them :)
      And I will be sure to be back and link up more fun next week. Thanks for hosting!!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you really are creative with the baby food! Lucky kid :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a foodie, and just love sharing my joy of different tastes with my kids. So many memories revolve around the dinner table in my family!
      Thanks for stopping by & reading :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea. Thank you for sharing at my Our Favorite Things Link Party. I know making baby food can seem intimidating, your tutorial and recipe take the fear out of trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you for such a kind comment!
      I must admit I was so very intimidated by making babyfood too, and that's exactly why I like to post on every kind of food I do. (plus it's a good way to document for future use on the next kid!)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful recipe for baby food...I'm gearing up for this again. i now have a 3 month old, so in a couple of months!
    I am stopping by from Wow me Wednesday--and I was looking through your projects--tons of great stuff!
    I am hosting a link party for OLD projects--that's right, old posts, you know, the stuff we posted when only our husband and moms were reading our blogs (or was that just me?!?)
    Hope you come link up and give some of these posts new exposure!
    Nancy
    http://www.dosmallthingswithlove.com/2013/02/and-oldie-but-goodie-link-party-5-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pork & apple combo was a huge hit with our little one. And I loved how easy it was to make too! I told Mr E, that should I lose all my teeth, he'd have to make this puree for me :)
      Thanks so much visiting my blog, and looking through my past projects. I will be sure to link up to your party tonight!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.