Handmade Christmas Gifts: Child's Apron & Chef's Hat

One of the greatest things about Pinterest is that I've been able to find affordable Christmas presents to make that are full of creativity. 

Included is this apron and chef's hat, in child's size.


A little birdie told me that TRex is getting a cooking table toy that includes an oven, play food, play dishes and all. So what goes better with that than his very own apron and chef's hat?  I planned to make two of each, one for TRex and one for my nephew who is the same age.

The Apron:
I followed the tutorial by Joanna of Stardust Shoes.  While I didn't make it reversible, as there is just plain blue fabric on the back, I did follow the measurements and the general idea. I think I did my straps differently, but only because I was working with scraps.

I used leftover fun blue/brown circle material that was originally from Baby's crib skirt and matching lamp shades {you can see one of the lampshades in the picture of the apron, I had knocked over the lamp and broke the shade, and it was in the drying phase of Gorilla Glue at the time that I took the apron pictures... sorry for the cluttered photo, but it was too much a coincidence to crop it out :)}. The backside (which I didn't take a picutre of!!) is leftover plain blue cotton material from a flat bed sheet. I often use bed sheets that I can score on super clearance for the backs of quilts or other projects like this.

The pocket is from a similar color-schemed pillow cover. I loved that pillow case, other than it had gotten a stain on it from eating & studying in bed freshman year of college. Glad I saved it, because I just cut out around the stain, and the colors match great... plus I'm digging the trend of mixing patterns.The blue side ties of the apron pictured directly above and brown top tie of the apron pictured at the very top are also made of the pillow case.

I didn't have any D-rings, but I did have white plastic rings that I had leftover from curtain tie-backs. They work pretty much the same.

The Hat:
So I didn't quite follow the hat tutorial of this one, but again, the idea is the same.

I used the very top edge of the flat sheet where it is doubled over as the head band. Since fabric was already doubled up and sewn nicely, and I didn't have any interface, I skipped that part. It saved me some time (remember I made two of each!), but it certainly is not stiff like the tutorial's pictures show.  The fabric of the poofy top was leftovers of the bottoms of Baby's curtains that were too long for our windows.  The curtains were very inexpensive from Ikea, and are made from stiff and somewhat see-through material. The stiffness of the fabric makes it great to hold the poofy top of the chef's hat, and the polka-dots tie in the circles of the apron too.

I also sewed it up along the side making a permanently sized band, after measuring TRex's head and giving about an inch extra room. I liked the idea of the Velcro, but I didn't want to buy any, and I'm sure the hat will be cool for about 3 months.  We'll see if I regret not making it adjustable.

Instead of the pleats as the tutorial shows, I basted and gathered the large circle for the hat. Mostly because I wasn't paying attention to the tutorial... yup, way to not follow directions! LOL. But oh well, works the same. Then sewed the gathered poof-top to the band.

Being crunched for time, and lazy, I didn't bind the raw edges either. Sorry kids, you'll just have to deal with some itchies inside the hat! 

I'm hoping the boys enjoy their culinary attire for a few years, and if they don't, well they both have little brothers that it can be handed down to!


I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny Sack,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,Tasty Tuesday,
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims WednesdayWork it Wednesday,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,Wait Til Your Father Gets Home,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars, Free for All at Young and Crafty
Saturday:, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,
Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap TimeOr So She Says,

6 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm hoping to squeeze some time in before Christmas to actually use my sewing machine and make little aprons for my girls. *Santa is bringing a play kitchen this year* Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! Grandma is gifting a little play cooking set for us too!
      It didn't take too much time, probably about an hour (including set up, cutting, ironing, and clean up) for three nights after the kids were in bed.

      Delete
  2. So lovely!!! Love the colors! Thanks so much for sharing! I'd love for you to visit my blog.
    Happy week !

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Ana. I dropped by your blog, and wow you have some great talent :)

      Delete
  3. So cute! I need to make some of these for my nieces and nephews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be surprised how quick you can sew a few of these up.
      Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.