Our DIY Baptism: Grey Upcycled Baby Suit


I had known all along that I wanted something special for Baby to wear on his baptism day, and that I was probably going to make it.

But when searching baptism and christening outfit patterns, I just couldn't find what I envisioned my little man wearing. They typical baptism outfits and gowns are adorable for an eight pound sleepy newborn... not so much for my always moving, twenty pound, nine-month-old.

Surfing Pinterest I had found a few tutorials to make the perfect outfit - a snappy little suit vest and matching pants.  Originally I thought I would add a white button down shirt to the outfit, but that was impossible to find last minute. Instead, a long sleeved white onesie was the perfect undershirt - perfectly comfortable for Baby, and I didn't have to buy something that would only be worn once!

Hmm... yeah.. so don't mind the spit-up stain on the vest. And a apologize now for the terrible photos and instructions. Well really, don't follow my instructions or lack there of. Go to the tutorial, and follow it, because I did most of this on the fly (and messed quite a bit up!) so save yourself the trouble! :)


My materials:
All free!!!
1 pair of grey stretch dress pants (that no longer fit thanks to Baby :D )
1 dress that had a bottom half of grey stretchy satin fabric  (that I wore while pregnant with Baby and got a salad dressing stain on the tummy!)

The Pants:
-Using a pair of Baby's pants inside out and folded in half, I traced the shape onto the grey dress pants (also inside out). I made sure to line up the pattern-pants onto the very bottom and along the side fold to minimize the amount of sewing that I had to do.  The nice invisible hem would be re-used on the new grey pants, as well as the professional serged edge for the outside seam. Why re-do the work?


-Sewed up the inside leg seam on each. 
-Pinned together in the crotch, and sewed.
-Ironed, pinned and sewed a top waistband - but didn't sew it all the way shut.
-With a safety pin at one end, threaded through a small band of elastic. Using the waistband width of the pattern-pants as a guide, adjusted the elastic to the right amount, pinned about a 1-inch overlap in the elastic, zig-zag stitched, and trimmed the end.
-Once the elastic was all tugged into the waistband, sewed the waistband shut.

And that's it!

The Vest:
This was the most challenging part of the outfit. I made my own pattern from freezer paper, following this tutorial at Make It and Love It.
1. Using a onesie that fit a little bit looser as a guide. folded in half the long way, made a pattern for the back of the vest.  Traced & cut along the fold of a grey pant leg, so that the already finished seam ran along the middle of the back.
2. Altered the pattern of the onesie using a ruler to have angles.  This was the scary part - how would it turn out? Are the angles too sharp/not enough?
3. Traced and cut out two of the front flaps pattern.
4. Traced and cut out the same 3 pieces (back and two front flaps) of the grey satin for the lining.

Um.. so this is where it gets blurry. I sewed the vest and lining making essentially two vests. Right sides together I sewed along the arm holes.  Somehow my insides and outsides got jumbled.. I thought I'd be able to also sew the arm holes and turn it right side out, then sew along the outsides, and turn it around again... none of it made sense, and still doesn't make sense.
Well... there were seams that got picked apart, and redone later, honestly I couldn't even tell you how I did it anymore. Be smart.. follow a pattern :)

Half of it was sewn by hand to hide the stitches. Then I used white thread to sew about 1/4" from the edge for contrast.  Added three buttons and button holes, and voila! About three anxiety filled nights of sewing and I was done!
(never mind that I was also extremely sick and had a fever... I wonder if that would explain why my logic on the whole inside/outside thing was flawed, LOL!)





If I were to do it again:

1. I would start the project waaaaaay sooner. I was so crunched for time that I didn't enjoy sewing this outfit.

2. I would try to do it when Baby was awake... I didn't check him for sizes very well.... so the pants were a little too snug...

3. I would take more pictures of Baby in his outfit. It was so precious on him, but almost all of our pictures are of him being held by someone and hands in front of the cute vest!




I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny Sack,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,Tasty Tuesday,
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims WednesdayWork it Wednesday,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,Wait Til Your Father Gets Home,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars, Free for All at Young and Crafty
Saturday:, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,
Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap TimeOr So She Says,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.