{Pinspiration} Quilted Teething Rail




Mr. E decided it would be fun to show Baby that not only can you use coffee tables and couches to pull up and stand with, but the crib works great for that too!

Armed with four amazingly sharp little teeth, a standing Baby inside that gorgeous crib that my Dad handcrafted for us was like unleashing a 22 pound monster! Pure terror ran through me when I saw Mr. E grab those chubby mini hands and place them on the edge of the crib...

Well that night I made a quilted teething rail for the crib.  I set out to make it using material I already had in my stash; I am in love with blue and brown combos, so surprisingly most of my fabric matches! But had to get some binding at Joann's the following day. I had found on Pinterest a little while back this fabric teething pad, and used it as my inspiration  {side note: do you see the other bedding she sewed?! Holy mama she's got skills :D }

It was pretty free form sewing.. no pattern, no real plan. I just cut varying widths of 10-inch long strips (which is how wide I needed to cover the wood) of all the different fabric leftovers that coordinated well. Then laid them out on the floor slightly overlapping the edges to allow for the seam, arranged the pattern I liked and started sewing.

One of the fabric is leftovers from hemming up Baby's curtains (which I also used in making play Chef's hats for TRex and my nephew), and I love that it ties in the curtain pattern, adding to the polka-dot theme of the room.

I got to a point where I realized I hadn't compensated for the seam allowance very well, so I added in one more strip about half way through.  Not perfect, but it works :)

I sewed on the big buttons and loops of elastic to keep in on the crib. The buttons were free, and from some probably super awesome 1980's era dresses from my Mom.  My parents taught me many frugal things, such as always keeping those extra buttons you get from clothes, and even saving some off of shirts and dresses when they are no longer wearable.

Ok... so the far left has a safety pin... I ran out of buttons I liked, and had to dig through my Mom's stash a little more, then forgot to sew it on. Another part of my to-do list!

Crib from my Dad, buttons from my Mom's sewing stash, and the rest sewn by me. There isn't much in our house that doesn't have family built right into it, and I wouldn't have it any other way!


I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny Sack,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,Tasty Tuesday,The Mommy Club @ Crystal & Co.
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims WednesdayWork it Wednesday,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,Wait Til Your Father Gets Home,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars, Free for All at Young and Crafty
Saturday:, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,
Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap TimeOr So She Says,





9 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. I could have used this when my daughter was a baby. I'm so glad to be your newest follower, I love your blog:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a sweet comment! Something I thought about afterwards is that I probably should have made it in neutrals (as with the rest of his bedding), since I devoted so much time and love into them, I'd hate for it all to only be used for a short while. Here's to hoping my friends have boys, and accept hand-me downs :)

      Thanks too for being a follower!! I'm still a newer blogger, and that is so very exciting!!

      Delete
  2. So smart! My sister really could have used this when her son was teething. He did a number on the railing with his new teeth! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't is crazy how sharp brand new baby teeth are? My little man has drawn blood on unsuspecting family members who didn't take my warning about keeping fingers out of his mouth!
      Thanks for stopping by - and fyi, I checked out your family's blog, and I'm your newest follower!

      Delete
  3. Oh My Goodness...I SO need to do this!! :)We are right at that teething stage!

    I am your newest follower and I would love for you to foolw me back and share this at my link party. I also have an awesome blog design giveaway going on right now! :)
    http://www.blissfulbucketlist.com/2012/12/flaunt-it-friday-24-blog-design-giveaway.html

    Sarah@
    www.blissfulbucketlist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks so much for becoming a follower of my blog :D
      I've returned the favor, and follwing you as well! Can't wait to see what you're up to :)

      Delete
  4. This is so cute. We have a clear plastic teething rail, but this is so much better because it's decorative AND absorbs the drool. I may be copying this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't put the plastic teething rail on our crib, because of it being sleigh style.
      I didn't even think about it absorbing drool! Hmm.. thinking it needs to be thrown in the wash tonight, LOL!

      I hope you do make your own, it was an easy project to whip up after little one was in bed :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.