{$1.49} Goodwill Cape to Sweater Dress - Refashion


There is a Goodwill only minutes from the office that I work in. Too often, I find myself there for a quick dig before picking up the kids.
My favorite spots - the $1.49 bins.

Look what I scored one day...



Capes aren't my style, but who says I can't take it in and make it into a fab sweater dress to wear with leggings?
There's never enough sweater dresses to pair with leggings :)


THE BEFORE:

The look on my face says it all...


AFTER:
TRex wondering what Mama is doing...





Excuse the crazy pictures... I was trying my hardest to get some good ones, which is impossible in poorly lit small apartment.  In honor of Mardi Gras (and to honor his father's requests to not put pictures of him online) I added that cute little mask to TRex's face :)

I simply laid out the cape on the floor (and didn't get pictures of this!) and used a well fitting sweater as a pattern to how wide I should cut the arms and torso. I over estimated quite a bit, since it's always easier to take it in more. I sewed two V's,  cut off the excess fabric, tried it on a few times, nipped and tucked.

I ended up also sewing together the very front.With how snug it was in the hips and belly to make the sweater not look clunky, the two flaps bulged. Not figure flattering. So now it's more of a pull over, but works quite well. Very comfy, and warm. Thanks again Goodwill :)



I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny Sack,Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays,
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,Tasty Tuesday,The Mommy Club @ Crystal & Co.
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims WednesdayWork it Wednesday,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,Wait Til Your Father Gets Home,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars, Free for All at Young and Crafty
Saturday:, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,

Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap TimeOr So She Says,

6 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness! You did quite the good job! Really that turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out amazing! I love how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The best part is how comfy it is. Glad you stopped by my blog!

      Delete
  3. Super cute upcycle. Pinned to my style board! New follow. Follow back a thttp://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/02/hey-girl-valentine-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm now following your blog as well, excited to see what projects you come up with in the future :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.