We are one step closer. I have recieved and accepted an offer for a new "big girl" job, minutes away from family.
The issue is that we still have a lease until June, so I will be commuting an hour each way for work. This means 6:15am daycare drop off, and not home until 5pm or later.
My first question was (in a state of panic):
Who's gunna cook supper?!?
Ok, Mr E is a wonderful man & father. But he cannot cook.
Sure, we could rely on take out. Or pre-made meals from the grocery store freezer section. And from time to time I'm sure we will do those things. But I know that this transition of new job, trying to find a new place to live & new daycare will all be very stressful. Stress plus junky food equals sluggish and not happy mama.
The solution I came up with was freezer meals. I found a range of recipes that can sit in the slow cooker all day, some soups that can be re-heated on the stove, and quick treats that can be microwaved from frozen.
Now you don't need to follow what I did to a T, but I wanted to show that even the busiest of moms can put this all together.
The basic idea is to make double of a freezable supper each night, and then once the kids are in bed, doing as much prep as possible - chopping, slicing, organizing. That way, when it comes time to assemble some of the more complex meals, it'll be a breeze.
- Grocery store trip #1 (you can get everything ahead of time, but I was in a time crunch and didn't know what we all had in our pantry)
- Supper - Mini Pizza Biscuits, made double and froze the extra. Used pepperoni instead of ground beef (1 meal down!) (this is a great recipe to get the kids involved with, TRex loved helping put the cheese and pepperonis on each biscuit!)
- Thawed out the hot dogs, ham, cheese, and enchilada sauce that I had hanging out in our freezer.
- Chopped up all the onions for the rest of the week.
- Made a new grocery list, taking into consideration the things I had in the pantry.
- Sam's Club trip for meats & food saver bags
- Supper - Doggies in a Blanket, made double & froze the extra (Meal #2)
- Chopped up hot dogs for Saturday lunch, and sausages.
- Assembled Thursday's supper, see below
- Assembled and froze two batches of Big Mess (Meals #3 & #4)
- Shredded my now thawed cheddar blocks
(this was my easy day, Mr E was gone all evening driving to exchange TRex for his mom's weekend, and I like to use those nights for extra awesome time with Baby C)
- Supper - Slow Cooker Ham & Scalloped Potatoes -
- This turned out horrible. Don't make this! We ended up eating yogurt and graham crackers for supper... Oh well, that's what I get for trying new recipes!
- Assembled two batches of Pork Apple Pie (meals #5 & #6)
- Browned up 2lbs of ground beef & onions to use in Taco soup.
- Froze the rest 2 lbs of ground beef from the same package.
- Cooked 3lbs of chicken in slow cooker while at work - cubed half, shredded half.
- Grocery Store trip #2
- Supper - went out to eat! Yay!
- Assembled & froze two Taco Soups (Meals #7 & #8)
- First made Corn Chowder to cook all day.
- Assembled Chicken enchiladas (meal #9, #10, #11), using shredded chicken. Made 5 enchiladas per 9x9 pan, and used a little less than 1.5 lbs of chicken.
- Corn Dog Muffins, made double (Meals #12 & #13), using chopped up hot dogs
- Beef & Mushroom Gravy (meal #14)
- Assembled Cilantro Lime Chicken (Meal #17)
- Supper - Corn Chowder, froze the extra (Meal #15 & #16). Even had enough to take to work for lunch! Super yummy.
- finsished freezing & organizing the rest of the meals
- Assebmled & froze two Chicken Macaroni Bake (meals #17 & #18), using cubed chicken, cooked pasta & onions
What was the easiest to make?
> Pork & Apple pie - but it doesn't have any veggies, so there's additional work to be done on the day it's eaten. A simple steamer bag of veggies in the micro will do :)
> Beef & Mushroom Gravy - dump & freeze!
> Taco Soup - brown up beef & onions, then dump in other canned & bagged ingredient. Looks super healthy, full of lean protein in the beef & beans, along with veggies in the tomatoes & corn.
I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project Parade, More the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny Sack,Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays,
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,Tasty Tuesday,The Mommy Club @ Crystal & Co.
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party, Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday, Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday, My Girlish Whims - Your Whims Wednesday, Work it Wednesday,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,Wait Til Your Father Gets Home,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars, Free for All at Young and Crafty
Saturday:, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,
Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap Time, Or So She Says,