Sewing Soft Baby Blocks

One of the many qualities about me that drives Mr E nuts is that I hate to throw away fabric and craft scraps.

Well, it's gotten to the point where I'm trying to find projects to do with these scraps. Our apartment is too small to have this much crafting and sewing supplies.

A project I came up with was softy baby blocks. Not a single thing was purchased for these, and they made great Christmas gifts!



Supplies:
1.5 inch thick memory foam
batting scraps
material scraps

How I did it:
Foam cutting tools (minus the plaid placemats!)
    1. Using an electric knife, I cut the scraps of memory foam (from an unfinished doggie bed project) into 3"x3" squares. I had enough foam to make 13 cubes.  An unfinished picture frame served as my straight edge, as you can see in the picture.

      2. Stacking two of these 3x3 foam pieces will make a 3inch cube. Loctite brand spray glue worked awesome. Be sure to have something to protect your work surface.

        3.  I then made a cardboard pattern to cut the batting.  It looked like a cross.  Using a mat and rotary cutter, I cut out 2 layers of batting at a time.

        Making a cardboard template, recycling a shipping box.
        Glued up blocks, and cut batting.
          4.  The batting was wrapped around the foam blocks, and quickly hand sewed on the seams. I used large and quick loop stitches, since it won't be seen.
            5.  After rounding up fabric scraps in coordinating colors (I did tye-dye patterns for Baby, and yellow/orange combos for my new nephew), I cut out 3.5" squares.  Remember there are six sides to a cube.  I also cut out a few simple shapes, triangle, circle, square, diamond, to then applique to a few of the blocks.
              6.  I sewed up little shells of fabric boxes on my machine.  It was basically a box with a lid. I clipped all the corners to be sure they weren't bulky on the finished product.
              Sewn up fabric boxes
                Mitering the corners
                7.  Iron well. This step was important. A good crease when hand sewing the final square lid worked as a good guide, and made the job easier.
                Right side out and well ironed.
                  Finished Product!
                  8.  Stuff a batting covered foam piece into the shell. Use a pin or two to line up the lid and keep it in place.

                  9. Carefully hand sew the "lid" part on. I made sure that the stitches were invisible, but this is quite time consuming. Know what you're getting into if you start this ;)
                    I am very proud as to how these turned out. It is so nice to have soft toys that don't make noise when they get tossed about, or smacked on a table!




                    I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
                    Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny Sack,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
                    Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,Tasty Tuesday,The Mommy Club @ Crystal & Co.
                    Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims WednesdayWork it Wednesday,
                    Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,Wait Til Your Father Gets Home,
                    Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars, Free for All at Young and Crafty
                    Saturday:, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,
                    Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap TimeOr So She Says,

                    6 comments:

                    1. Love these and I know my grandson will too.
                      Thanks

                      ReplyDelete
                    2. Hello, I'm your newest follower. I found you on Girlish Whims blog hop and came to visit your blog. Hope you will visit my blog sometime. Awesome blog.
                      Best
                      Angel

                      ReplyDelete
                      Replies
                      1. Angel, thanks for visting my blog! And for being a follower!
                        What is your blogs URL? I can't seem to find it in your G+ profile (although I am technologically challenged at times :D )

                        Delete
                    3. Those are so much fun for babies. I bet they were a lot cheaper than buying them. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

                      ReplyDelete
                      Replies
                      1. Oh, so much cheaper! Everything used was scraps from other projects, so essentially free. Don'cha love projects like that? :)

                        Delete

                    Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.