Why I Quilt {Project Linus}



I first heard of Project Linus a number of years ago. My mom is in a women's network through her employer, and the group has held meetings to create fleece blankets. I remember helping pick out fun fleece fabric and that the blankets would go to needy kids, but I didn't fully understand the mission.



Fast forward a few years, when I first starting living with Mr E. Doing the laundry as a good girlfriend does, I noticed a little tag on one of TRex's blankets - "Project Linus".  TRex was born about 6 weeks early, and received the blanket while in the NICU for 8 days. I can only imagine how comforting it would have been for Mr E and his family to receive the gift of a warm snuggly blanket at such a scary time.

While pregnant with Baby C, I felt this insane drive to make as many blankets as possible. I would well up with tears after finishing each blanket, knowing that a baby or child would receive it and find some comfort when they most needed it.

Children and babies in the hospital for any number of reasons get these blankets. But something I had not heard about until researching more, is that children who lose homes due to fires or natural disasters, children who are in shelters or social services agencies are also among those who get blankets.

It warms my heart to know that the love I pour into each blanket gets received by children who so very much need something as simple as a warm blankie.

Just this past week I dropped off over 10 fleece blankets of varying sizes and 2 cotton flannel blankets for NICU babies at a local sewing shop that serves as a donation spot.  Click on the links of each type of blanket to see some instructions and tutorials.



Want to know more? Or how you can help? Visit ProjectLinus.org for more information as well as local chapters that can help you find donation sites, and needs specific to your area.


I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-
Monday: Make It Pretty Monday, Skip to my Lou, DIY Showoff Project ParadeMore the Merrier Monday, C.R.A.F.T., Just Something I Whipped Up, The Gunny Sack,Cutesy Mondays, Craft-O-Maniac Mondays, Make It Mondays, Mixer Monday at Whimsically Homemade
Tuesday:Get your craft on Tuesdays, Project Queen, Sugar Bee Crafts, New Nostalgia, Lady Bug Blessings, Too Cute Tuesday, The Schwins Tuesday Party,Tasty Tuesday,The Mommy Club @ Crystal & Co.
Wednesday:The Thrifty Home, Linking up with Lil Luna, Tea Rose Home, Adorned from Above, Rae Gun Ramblings - What We Wore, Read, and Made Link Party,  Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday,   Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday,   My Girlish Whims - Your Whims WednesdayWork it Wednesday,
Thursday: Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage, Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Thursday's Temptation @ Two Yellow Birds Decor,Crafty Soiree at Yesterday on Tuesday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday,Wait Til Your Father Gets Home,
Friday: Shabby Nest,Whipperberry, Its a Hodge Podge Life, 30 Handmade Days, I'm Lovin It Link Party at Tidy Mom, Tickled Pink Fridays at 504 Main, For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars, Free for All at Young and Crafty
Saturday:, Show and Tell Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Get Schooled Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,
Sunday:Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes, Sunday Scoop at I Heart Nap TimeOr So She Says,

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ali! Your description of yourself is similar to me ~ optimistic, busy, drink too much coffee and eat too much junk food lol.

    Now following through GFC :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being a new follower Paula! I'm headed over to your page now.
      And no shame in being a caffeine and sugar junkie... whatever help you get it all done, right? :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story! Last Valentine's my sons' elementary school made close to 1,000 fleese no-sew blankets to donate to Project Linus. I think it's a wonderful program, and it's so generous of you to contribute to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!!! 1,000? That is amazing. Kudos to those teachers who helped organize that, and the children for participating.
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.