Vintage Buffet Makeover {with spray paint}



I frequently look for furniture at local thrift stores. Our Goodwill sells furniture for super cheap, but the items go quickly. The other thrift store, St Vincent de Paul, is visited less often so good picks are easier for this busy mama to score. Although furniture is a bit pricier there, I've heard a few of the cases that St Vincent has helped and I'm proud to support their involvement in the community.

This buffet caught my eye immediately. I love the clean lines. The simple-ness. The modern vintage feel.
Throw it in the truck now!



I settled on Rustoleum Universal (no this is not a sponsored post, nor am I compensated... although I wouldn't mind :D ), a royal blue. Not navy, or particularly bright, but enough color to liven up our living area.

Drawers were taken out, and the two side door taken off of the hinges.

Mr E. and I spent a few night lightly sanding it all down. The very top was a layer of formica, or laminate countertop type material. Smart idea to keep waterspots and damage at bay... but meant we'd have to choose a paint that was suitable for wood and plastic.

Otherwise she is built very well, with dovetail drawers and all solid wood.

Here are the drawers with just one coat of paint.  It had me nervous!






Once all assembled again, we went to put it where our TV currently is. Our TV is in a corner of our living room, which is long and somewhat narrow. As we scooted it back at an angle towards the corner, Mr E. started grumbling about how I didn't measure and that it looked stupid because it was too big for the space!  I protested, and argued "no way, it looks great, we can get used to it." I was so proud of this project that I nearly started to cry when reality sunk it that it was simply too large.

Then inspiration hit again... I can be an entrance table!

Combo of a purse holder, mail center, and happy blue ambassador.



Here's a side by side:


I just love it. I plan to find a similar modern piece with correct proportions for an entertainment stand, and use the same paint. We will see what I can find!

The entrance as a whole can use some more staging - a mirror, lamp, decor. But that will all come with time. Stay tuned for updates as we get settled into our home.

Thanks Jill from Two Yellow Birds Decor for the feature! See it here.





I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-

29 comments:

  1. You did a great job on the buffet. I hope you post again when you decorate the top. It looks like a piece that can make a great entry statement with the change of each season or holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I was toying around with decorations this weekend... I'm so new at decorating furniture like this, I've never had a nice entry way :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. looks great! I love the blue, nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blue refinish! Pinned to my fabulous furniture board! I posted anchor dress to the Dedicated House. Stop over:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to pop over from CRAFT's Monday Funday to tell you how awesome this color is! You don't see many painted furniture makeovers in such a bold color---that's why I love it! Perfect choice for the style of furniture also. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're so sweet! I wanted bold, but was nervous... blue is still in my comfort zone :) Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  5. Thats a very bold choice of color and it works. I just recently did a corlish pink color on a sewing cabinet. BOLD is awsome! You'll find something for you entertainment center just keep searching all the local thrift stores and goodwills.

    Jamie @http://thekoenigscreate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a nice comment! I looooove coral-pink colors, but Mr E was not willing to do anything pink related :D And yes, the search certainly continues!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. :D Thanks! I appreciate you visiting my blog!

      Delete
  7. This is Beautiful I love the BLUE!! I would love for you to come link up at my paint party going on now!
    http://startathome.blogspot.com/2013/07/paint-party-7.html
    brooke
    startathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! I've linked up, and I'm sure I'll be back with other painted treasures!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! You had such a sweet comment, and I accidentally clicked the wrong thing, and now it's gone forever. So sorry! I appreciate you stopping by and commenting. Glad you like this revamp!

      Delete
  9. Such a fun color. It's a great feeling to find something at the thrift stores and make it new again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, nothing like using your own sweat to make something wonderful :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  10. Such a fun statement piece! I am always a fan of blue! I am glad it worked out and you found a good spot for it, nothing stinks more than working so hard on something and it doesn't work! I can't wait to see how you style it! I am following back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Love the transformation you gave this!!! What a fun pop of color to your room! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Thursday's Temptation. I am going to be featuring your buffet at tonights link party!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Thanks so much Jill! I am honored!

      Delete
  12. super cute! The color reminds me of my foyer dresser that I just made over. Great find. I sometimes prefer St.Vinnys over Goodwill too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! St Vinnie's has some amazing finds, I think each community's store has a different vibe. Maybe I should go visit again today... ;)

      Delete
  13. I LOVE that color...it looks so fun and vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, it definitely livens up our very beige front room, exactly what I was looking for!

      Delete
  14. What a gorgeous color!!! The makeover looks great, Ali!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Selene! It turned out so much better than I could have envisioned.

      Delete
  15. Great job! I still get so nervous spraypainting something like a large piece of furniture. You did great though. Thanks so much for linking up to the Pinworthy Projects Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always those moments in the middle of a big project that you think "uh-oh... what did I get myself into!". That moment is usually after just one coat of paint, which always look horrid. What helped me was to think that if I really hated it, I could always paint it a different color!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.