DIY Sugar and Salt Scrubs {frugal spa gifts}


This past Christmas, I decided to make the majority of the gifts we gave. Many of the gifts can double as birthday presents, mother's day or father's day presents as well - check them out if you're looking for some fun and budget friendly projects.

Back in December, body scrub recipes were plastered all over my Pinterest page, but didn't want to buy expensive essential oils. Two scrubs stood out to me:  this recipe using peppermint extract from Life in the Motherhood, and these basic instructions from Martha Stewart.
I played around a bit, and modified the recipes.


Cocoa Peppermint Scrub (my version)
1 1/4 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of Palmers Moisturizing Oil
2 T of corn syrup
1/2 tsp of peppermint extract
  • Dump all ingredients into a mixing bowl. Stir gently until just combined. 
  • If scrub is too sloppy, add a sprinkle of more sugar until the constancy desired is achieved.  If scrub is too dry, add a small splash of oil.

Lavendar Salt Scrub
2 cups lavender scented epsom salt (available at the Dollar Tree)
1 cup baby oil gel (available at Walmart)
1 drop each of red and blue food coloring
  • Follow the same directions as above. Basically combine & stir. Add oil if too dry, add epsom salts if too runny.

Packaging
Pretty glass containers were not in the budget, nor are the practical in my mind. These scrubs will likely be used in the shower. No one needs a shattered glass container on an already slippery shower floor.
My choice was plastic baby food tubs - won't break, recyclable when emptied, and we have bulk quantities in our cupboards.

Add a label, and a little instructions card in whatever color scheme you'd like. Oil separation is normal, stir up the oil and sugar just with a finger before using.  Another note, if you use plastic baby food tubs - they are not water-tight. So be careful to not tip them or some skin oil may escape.

I gave one tub each to my sister, mom, and Mr E's mom. After all packed up, there was still some of each scrub to try myself. I must say, that I didn't know what I was missing out on before I made these!  During wintertime, I used them to rid myself of that dry itchy winter skin. Now that it's summer, they are wonderful for cracked feet, or prepping for sunless tanner.
Plain boring packages - ready for creative embellishments!
Enjoy!

I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-

14 comments:

  1. I love this!! I love using sugar scrubs. I would LOVE for you to share this at "That's My Style" Link Party TODAY on my blog. I hope to see you there! :)

    Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Karla! I've linked up and become a follower of your blog. Your link party will be one that I'll be back to often! Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. funny i was looking up sugar scrubs this morning online, love this one!

    beauty about town ♡


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should really try it, they are so easy to make and very refreshing to use.

      Delete
  3. this is such a good idea for a gift. even for myself! i have really dry skin so im sure this would do wonders on it! thanks!

    xo, Jess

    xoitsjess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a nice comment Jess. These scrubs really are amazing. The salt or sugar gets rid of that dry top layer of skin, then the oils moisturize the newly exposed healthy skin. Just a little something to help feel a bit more glamorous ;)

      Delete
  4. I've made my own lip scrub before using sugar and honey, so I might do a DIY on that!
    This is a great idea, I hope I remember to try it out, I have an awful memory!

    bethanyxalice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an terrible memory too, that's why I love Pinterest so much. Sugar and honey sound devine! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. This is so good. I really need to try this.

    Ayesha
    http://definingayesha.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Ayesha. I hope you do try these scrubs - they are easy to make and easy on the wallet too.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing this at "That's My Style" Link Party!!! You made my day. I do hope you'll join in again. I can't wait to see what you have to share this week. :)

    Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'm so glad you invited me to your party!

      Delete
  7. These are great gift ideas! People usually spend hundreds of dollars trying to buy spa products as gift items, but I never thought you can actually make them yourself. This would definitely be great for future gift ideas. Thank you! And they’re effective as well as most ingredients are mostly natural products.

    Lilia Valle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.