Chicken Wire Memo Board with Upcycled Picture Frame



Don't put heavy things... or anything... on top of a picture frame in your trunk. 
The glass will break.

When hanging large frames, be sure the hook is actually on the nail, not just the edge between the backing and the molding. It will eventually fall, scaring the crap out of everyone in the house. 
And the glass will break.

Sensing a theme here? I'm just too rough on my many picture frames, and therefore have quite a few beautiful frames minus the glass.

Along comes paint and chicken wire.
The original frame was black. Half of it had been lightly sanded when I had intended to paint it a while back, and the other half I left alone. It's not going to be touched often.
I painted it a cream color, using paint that was left in our house when we bought it. It's the same color that I painted out mirror & coat hook frame, so it ties in beautifully. Plus it's free.
It took many coats to fully cover the black - should I have used a primer? Probably, but a few extra coats was cheaper than buying a can of primer. I usually just go with the flow when crafting.
Once dried for a few days, I topped it off with 2 coats of glossy clear.

Years ago, my parents raised chickens. The have a good sized coop, along with a big fenced in run. Guess what was hiding up in the barn loft? Free chicken wire! Perfectly aged. Just be sure you have your tetanus shot if you happen to find rusty chicken wire like I did. 

The process of adding the chicken wire is similar to re-upholstery.
I started on the bottom edge. Then worked my way up one side. As I attached the wire to the opposite side, I made sure to pull tight - which is hard to do with wire. When it got to attaching the top, it may help to have an extra set of hands to get it tight, and pull out any bends. I ended up using a couple nails through the chicken wire to get some leverage with one hand, while stapling with the other. I promise it was one of those more comical DIY moments. Once the chicken wire is secure, I clipped off any excess.

To protect the walls from the sharp ends of the wire, I covered the raw ends with some scrap fabric. I first used a hammer to flatten out any bent ends, then used hot glue to attach the fabric. Once cooled, it was done!


Voila! A beautiful memo board, or display frame. 


I used some clothes pins that I had decorated with bits of scrapbook paper for a display at C's baptism. It's the perfect place to hang the kids most recent art projects. And even a few fun photos.

The extra clothespins clip right onto the edge of the frame, waiting for a new project to display.

I just love it.

And I hope you enjoyed my recap on how it was done!


I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-

22 comments:

  1. This is fun! I've been wanting to make one of these. Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! It was much easier than I expected... which doesn't always happen with my DIY ideas ;)

      Delete
  2. Love this, I need one for my back entry so we can all find our messages and not a dozen notes on the kitchen counter. lol Great idea. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will go live this afternoon. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, I'll check it out your link party! :)

      Delete
  3. This is really cute and could be great for a jewelry holder too. Thanks for stopping by earlier! http://talenttoplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of a jewelry holder, that's such a great idea!

      Delete
  4. Love this project!
    Thanks for linking up for WW :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Becca. It's quite fun to pick which clothespin to hang the boys' art with, or move them around randomly :)

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful Idea!! I love how you can customize it to your needs and make it big or small. Thanks for the inspiration! Hope you have a great day! Julia @ www.juliakendrick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a nice comment Julia! :D

      Delete
  7. Great use of a frame minus the glass. Love the idea of using it for kids art work. I really try to keep my fridge clean so something like this would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Sarah! We use our fridge for more urgent reminders - like bills to pay, kid's permission slips, and the grocery list. So after all that there isn't much room left! This project was the perfect way to be able to show off my boys' artwork to everyone that enters our home :)

      Delete
  8. I love the way this looks! And you could even make different clothespins depending on what the decor on the table was. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe I'll change the paper on the clothespins for holidays - Christmas, Valentines... now you're inspiring me! :)

      Delete
  9. This is too cute! I'd love for you to link it up at my link party, DIY Weekend!

    http://mrandmrswinslett.blogspot.com/2013/09/diy-weekend-926.html

    See you there!
    Miranda @ Mr. and Mrs. Winslett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks the the invite Miranda! I'll be stopping by in a bit!

      Delete
  10. I LOVE what you have done. You should come show off your creativity at Craft Frenzy Friday! http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com/2013/09/craft-frenzy-friday-6.html It won't be a party without you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love learning about other link parties! Already linked up, thanks for the invite :)

      Delete
  11. super lucky your parents had some on hand! i'm always thinking about trying something like that. love that buffet, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great to use things that are otherwise just sitting around? I'm still enamored with my buffet too... it's a keeper :)
      Thanks for your sweet comment!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.