Decorating My New Entry Way & Table


Earlier this summer, I snagged an awesome deal on a vintage buffet at a local thrift store and great charity, St Vincent de Paul. I gave it a bold makeover with spray paint in bright happy blue.  That pop of blue became our accent color, since everything else in the living room is beige. 

And really, that's not such a bad thing, because when my current blue kick is over, I will only have to switch around a few key pieces.
Our entry way was purely functional (or trying to be), but once the buffet was finished, I felt the urge to give the rest of the area a makeover too.


I relocated the boys cubbies to the garage, where the bucket loads of sand that come home in their shoes can get messily dumped into a garbage can, and I won't be upset about stray mini beaches inside anymore. May not be the prettiest landing zone our in the garage, but that's another project we are hoping to do in the next few months. Stay tuned on that.


Ick. Just look at those boring blank walls. Beige. So very beige.
I spy a pretty lamp, and fun tool caddy... I remembered to take pictures during the updating, but it's better to capture progress than capture nothing at all :)


I found a patterned home decor fabric at Joann's. While its not the exact shade of blue as the entry table I still think it goes.
The second blue addition was a cushion for our shoe bench. I made a modification to the envelope cover idea, adding sides and piping.
Oh piping. How I despise you. Please just ignore the wonky corners...


Above the bench, I gave a mirror and coat hook frame a facelift with some nearly white paint. Nearly white meaning that it wasn't quite bright white, but not dark enough to be called ivory. Why are there so many paint color choices anyways?  We had nearly a gallon of in our basement when we moved in, so hey, free paint that I might as well use. I then sealed it with a clear gloss spray. I already had the Ikea end table in white, and it gives guests a nice place to put a purse or keys. Clean and crisp. I love those end tables.

Check out this lamp. Guess where it came from? Goodwill! It was brand new from target for a fraction of the retail price. If I remember right, it was around $4. I dressed it up with a lampshade I bought at WalMart while on maternity leave last year. That galvanized tool caddy, also from Goodwill for $2. Its a great landing spot for incoming mail. Not sure if it will stay, but its cute for now!

And about that chicken wire art display frame? I think I'll build the suspense... check back soon for the story on that!


While the space is certainly not done yet, its feeling so much more welcoming, and like home.
I can't wait to get some good time to arrange a gallery wall above the buffet!

For those of you who have gallery walls, do you ever feel finished? 
Or is it more of a constantly evolving creature on your wall as more pictures and memories are made?



I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-

10 comments:

  1. Hi! My gallery wall is in progress. And I suspect it will be for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I like to change things frequently, so I suppose mine will be always changing too :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! that's a great transformation. Love the lamp shade simplicity.

    I just did our entry hall too. It was petité but I guess, with GH handy effort, he did the great job.

    Happy w/end.
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm in love with the lampshade too. All my other lamp shades in my house are much more plain :)
      Thanks for your nice comment!

      Delete
  3. I wanted to invite you to the Friday Flash Blog Party, the best linky in town! I hope you'll join us and link up. Who knows. You may just get highlighted!

    The party goes on ALL weekend.

    Jennifer @ The Jenny Evolution
    www.thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jennifer, I'll be stopping over now!

      Delete
  4. Looks great! Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-30.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.