Embellished Fleece Blanket - No Sew Edges



I love to score deals on fleece and make blankets for Project Linus (see why I love this charity so much).

At Joann's (a fabric store) I found a remnant of plain pink polar fleece. Sometimes plain is best, since there are so many possibilities.  In the same trip, I scored the cutest pink, black and white polka dot cotton fabric covered in glitter! I didn't have any intentions to use them together, but when reorganizing my fabric bins - LIGHTBULB! Spruce up the plain pink fleece with adorable glittery flowers.


For the large flowers, I folded over about 2 inches of double layer. Then traced the edge of a large mixing bowl.  Cut on the traced line, and ended up with two petals. Repeated to make a total of six large petals. I did the same thing for the smaller ones, just using a lid for tupperware.

The fleece remnant was super long and skinny. I trimmed off the excess to make a blanket just the right size for toddler or small child. With the extra fabric, I traced circles from other bowls to form the centers of the flowers.  I didn't want a third type of fabric, and I thought it would seem too busy and random.

Next, I arranged all the pieces on the blanket until it was just right. Using quilt basting spray, I temporarily glued each piece in place. Then using black thread (to add some contrast) I used the widest zig-zag stitch with a fairly short length.  First went around the very outer of each petal, then the outer part of the center circle.

Finishing off the edges, I snipped and "braided", a very popular no-sew finishing method. You can find a great tutorial by Lynn at Nebraska View here. I don't find it necessary to use a crochet hook, and for this blanket made the fringe somewhat smaller. I'm borderline dare devil, and eyeballed it!


This blanket was so much fun to make. I'll admit that sewing on the flowers was frustrating at times. The fleece stretches and the cotton doesn't, so every few stiches I had to bring up the presser foot and adjust the sewing path along all the curves. 
But looking at the finished project, and knowing the comfort it will bring to a child in crisis, it was so worth it. 

I can often be found linking up at these fabulous parties-

14 comments:

  1. I really like the flower that you added! That was a really great idea to make it unique. Btw I'm gonna check out Project Linus next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Do check out Project Linus, it's such a wonderful charity. I love that I can donate my time in whatever bursts I get, at whatever time of day. I hope you find it as great as I do :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This is lovely!! I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work. You're really talented! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-29.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite to The DIY'ers party. I'm sure I'll be back frequently. :)

      Delete
  4. Coming over from the Koenig’s Link Party to see your adorable project. I have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll find that the edging goes quick, and it's actually quite fun to do!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing. Linda come share if you can.

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/09/what-to-do-weekends-37.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite, I linked up, and I'm a follower :D

      Delete
  6. I love what you have done. Please come show off your creativity at Frenzy Friday.
    We are at http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com/2013/09/craft-frenzy-friday-5.html I will not be a party without you!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, headed over there now!

      Delete
  7. Such a sweet blanket, thank you so much for sharing over on Tutorial Thursdays Linky Party. Hope to see you again this week.
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I love to read your comments, thoughts and questions on my posts.